"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Friday, April 20, 2007

Can you tell i'm stalling?

Today's the day.

I have to tell him today.

But first!
I was just reminded of something to help you to better understand just how non-confrontational i am.

{{{Wayne's World wavy screen flashback transition}}}

I think it was 2001? Probably about 6 years ago, i guess. Imagine that song "It's Been Awhile" by Staind is playing on the radio. I'm pretty sure that song was always playing on the radio that year on at least 3 stations at any given moment. And it's a damn shitty song.

I was getting sick of how my stupid bank worked, what with its "holding periods" and "no online banking" and "nasty, indignant tellers" and decided that i wanted a change and opened up an account at a local credit union. One with all kinds of online banking and nicer people with less attitude and they also were better about not telling me that i couldn't access my money when i wanted it (which really sucks by the way when you are super-poor like me and are maybe making minimum wage, or at least very close to it).

So i opened an account and dropped most of my money in it and all was good. I could look at my money move all day long online and that was so exciting for me, you have no idea. Hey. Sometimes its the simple things that make me happy.

But there was still one thing i had left to do.

I had to quit the bank.*

Every week i said to myself, 'Self? Today is the day we quit the bank'. And then i wouldn't go anywhere near the bank and I'd be all , 'Feh! I was so busy, i didn't have time to quit the bank today!'

And there the account laid open. Open and on the brink of emptiness.

To quit the bank, you have to talk to someone at the bank. You have to tell them that you don't want to be in their bank anymore and that you're leaving their bank. You're breaking up with the bank. And i think by now you know how i feel about that kind of conversation.

Not good. In case you were wondering, it's not good.

Once a month, i would receive my statement and every month, there would be a couple of dollars less in the bank than there was the month before. The account was starting to eat away at itself from starvation and neglect. It would only eat a dollar or two a month, but pretty soon i knew there would be nothing left.

Years went by. I never did quit the bank. Eventually there was only about $12.00 in the bank and they finally sent me a letter telling me they were closing the account due to inactivity. And i said "YES! I don't have to quit the bank! They did it for me."

And that is the story of a girl who is so non-confrontational that she couldn't even close a bank account.


It's probably also because of sheer laziness. But feh. That does not fit the theme of the story.




*I don't know if anyone else would pick this up, but that is a Friends reference. My closet addiction to Friends goes deep. And i would in fact go around saying this; I'm not making up that phrase for your amusement. Because it is not so amusing.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • LOL -- I knew RIGHT AWAY that that was a Friends reference. I, too, am a Friends fanatic.

    Well, good luck today as you "quit your manager"! I'll be thinking of you!

    YOU CAN DO IT!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/20/2007 8:33 AM  

  • Good luck. I hope he takes the news well, but if not... that's just more justification for moving on.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/20/2007 9:04 AM  

  • cassie - isn't it sad? how you can pretty much quote the episodes like movies? i used to be very hush-hush about my Friends fanatacism but eh, who cares. :) And THANK YOU!

    twobusy - actually, he did take the news very well. surprisingly well. i think he wants to bail out just as much as i do. and really, who could blame him..

    By Blogger claire, at 4/20/2007 2:47 PM  

  • I have been hanging on to a bank account for too long, simply because I hate myself for feeling like I have to have a Very Good Reason for Leaving. It's not good enough for me to say 'because I bank somewhere else now', I have to come up with reasons. 'Just because' doesn't seem to work for me. So I have a bank account with a $30+ balance that goes by pennies (interest, you know.) ::sigh::

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/20/2007 8:51 PM  

  • Can you just tell him you're closing your position due to inactivity?

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 4/20/2007 10:21 PM  

  • oh thank god at least that's over! the suspense was killing me.
    yay for you!

    and yeah...you're addicted to 'Friends'? i'm living vicariously through my blog. dont beatcherself up.

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 4/21/2007 1:54 PM  

  • fifth floor - yes! i was exactly the same way! i can't just be like, 'um, cause i found a better bank'. there has to be something better, something that they're not going to try to hook me back in with. I don't know what i was thinking.

    da nator- i wish i had gotten that message before i went to talk to him. that is perfect. and so true..

    fn - i would want to live vicariously through your blog, too. there's a lot of stuff going on in there...

    By Blogger claire, at 4/21/2007 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home