"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Thursday, April 05, 2007

I may be able to start counting those chickens.

After a conversation with Potential New Manager, i was informed that he had a conversation about me with the director of his department. It was nice to hear that the director didn't call me a stupid cow or anything but was perhaps somewhat interested in my wanting the new job. Director, I'm pretty sure, has always liked me so i knew that he wouldn't be much of a hurdle for me. I mean, I've been here for 7 years - these people know me and by now probably know what I'm about and what I'm capable of. At least i would hope so. But even still, it was nice to hear that he wasn't put off by Potential New Manager throwing my name in for the position.

However, I've been given a assignment that i need to complete before applying. He wants to see a writing sample; specifically a technical essay covering any project that i have done while working here. Now, you may be saying, what kind of a dick asks for a homework assignment before you're even allowed to apply for the job?

The answer is, 'the kind of dick that may be hiring you for a Technical Writing job'.

Right.

Also, he wants the essay before i apply so that HR doesn't have to get involved before we know if I'm qualified for the job. Which i am, dammit.

I know, you're probably thinking, "but her grammar sucks and look at all of, the, commas, she, uses. She is so not fit for that kind of job." To which i say, "Fuck you! Innernet Naysayers!" I am SO fit for this job! And you can't tell me any different!"
"But you use conjunctions at the beginning of all of your sentences."

Yeah, well.

....hmph.


I have a lot of work to do, obviously. But i know that i can do this. I just need a good grammar book and I'll be fine. Also, i need to figure out what project I'm going to write about so that i can punch this thing out and get on with the process. Luckily, Potential New Manager said that we would go over my paper before we hand it in to Potential New Director and go over it to make sure that i don't throw myself under the bus, as it were.

So uh... what the hell goes into a technical essay....?

I CAN SO DO THIS JOB SHUT UP.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

  • Yay you! I know you can do it! My really real writing is far superior to my internet shit.

    By Blogger Jess, at 4/05/2007 2:58 PM  

  • yep, you can do that job of being a Technical Writer. however, i've never met a Technical Writer i've liked. maybe i've just met the wrong ones, but they seem to think their shit don't stink. and that they were born with that magical ability of having their shit not stinking. and they don't want to have to teach anyone how to make their shit not stink. sounds like this manager is one of those Technical Writers i know... you really want to work for this guy?

    By Blogger minijonb, at 4/05/2007 3:09 PM  

  • Jessica - Yay me! Yeah, i'm pretty sure my real writing is thrown together a bit better than this, so i'm not all that worried. I guess...

    minijonb - woah! i think i may have misrepresented them. actually the tech writers here are really nice people, so i haven't had that experience. also - the manager and director are both engineers, so they don't fall into the same category. they're actualy both really nice, too, especially the manager. i was just saying that it probably sounds dickish to ask for a writing sample before applying, but if you're applying for a writing job, it just makes sense. YES I DO WANT TO WORK FOR THIS GUY!

    By Blogger claire, at 4/05/2007 3:18 PM  

  • You CAN totally do this job. Promise. I mean, really, check out my blog and comments. And I is an Englilish major. Oh how my professers would weep to see how my writing has progressed downward. This is rather unfortunate for my future clients however.

    By Blogger Christine, at 4/05/2007 3:42 PM  

  • Good luck! It's nice that the manager has agreed to look at it first. I am sure you will do fine.

    By Blogger -R-, at 4/05/2007 5:06 PM  

  • You go girl! This is your Destiny! Write like the wind, only technical!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/05/2007 5:14 PM  

  • What kind of technical writer? As in, what kinds of things? Can I help?

    Minijonb, I've been a technical writer, and I'm nice! I swear! I am, however, just a regular old writer now.

    This is great, Claire!

    By Blogger Jonniker, at 4/05/2007 8:34 PM  

  • Ooh, good luck, Claire! You can totally do this.

    By Blogger metalia, at 4/06/2007 12:30 AM  

  • christine - you is a enlish major? your clients are in good hands then. :)

    R - yeah, i think he's really pulling for me so as long as i have the guy who is going to hire me in my corner, i should be ok. i hope..

    fifthfloor - woohoo! destiny! writing! without personality! yes!!

    Jonna - I would be writing Standard Operating Procedures and then training employees on them. I've had to do this in the past, but only occasionally, so i'm hoping i can do it full-time. I will probably need all the help i can get and may be sending you an email. :) Thanks! (oh, and you're totally nice!)

    Metalia - thanks! i hope you're right!

    By Blogger claire, at 4/06/2007 2:07 PM  

  • w00t! very cool!
    just start writing about different things you've done, whatever comes to mind, and one will kind of pop out at you. then make it sound all technical. use phrases like 'design paradigm'. include a polaroid of that clear plastic wankel engine you put together when you were 10.


    i want to be an english majorette. with a baton.

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 4/07/2007 12:20 PM  

  • "look at all of, the, commas, she, uses." Hee!

    WE ALL KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! Everybody knows there's a difference between blogging and business writing. At least, everybody over 21. These kids nowadays with the txt-ing ruining their writing skills... oy vey ismir! But I digress.

    GoooOOOO, you! [shakes pompoms]

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 4/07/2007 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home