"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Chickens and the Eggs From Which They Hatch.

My focus lately has totally been waxing and waning and for a while last week, i was seeing red on a daily basis due to work-crap that i'll most likely not bore you with.

Cause you have your own work-crap that makes you physically exhausted from anger, right?

Right?

You don't need to hear mine because you have your own. Everyone goes through this, right?
Seeing red? Screaming at people? Because of work? No.. probably not everyone.


Feh.

But that's ok, see? Cause things, they may be changing. Maybe. And if they do, i'll be much better off. Because i may or may not be qualified for a new position in another department and how great would it be to get the fuck out of here? SO GREAT! But i'm not a chicken counter, so we're not getting excited about it here.

Even though the hiring manager really likes me and maybe told me that if i want the job, it's pretty much mine. But those chickens - i'm not counting them yet because the position hasn't officially been hatched yet and we're waiting until after the first of April for it to come back from corporate with their official stamp of a "Real, Newly Budgeted Position" so that i can apply. Until that happens, anything can and will most likely go wrong, so i am going to sit here stewing in my own sucky-job-juices until i see it posted to the company's open jobs list and then i will jump up and down on it and scream happy, joyful things.

And then i'll have to interview. Which means i'll have to tell my current boss that i hate him and want to go live with some other people from now on. Over there. Just across the hall.
Someone (be it myself, the interviewer or Human Resources) is obligated to tell the current boss that their employee is looking to jump-ship before they interview somewhere else in the company.

I'm not really sure how to deal with that, you know? It's kind of like telling someone you're going to cheat on them at a specified time and that you may or may not be deemed acceptable by the 'other woman' and if they like you, maybe you'll just go out with them from now on, thank you very much. It just feels dirty. Mostly because my department is not necessarily the type that encourages its employees to learn and grow and wants you to stay in the same spot for ever and ever until you quit because you can't take it anymore.

So i'm at a cross-roads. Obviously i want this new job because not only is it more money, but a better environment in a better department with more upward mobility. Even more importantly, because the title of the position is something that i can take just about ANYWHERE if i decide to leave. The experience i can gain there is priceless and i really need this break.

Now how do i tell my boss that i'm leaving him in a lurch?

I don't know.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • Hmmm... how about if you do one last suck-up and ask his opinion, put it in his lap, so to speak. Tell him you've found out that there are more opportunities available to you in the new position, and you'd really like to apply, but what does he think about it? Yes, yes, it would be hard to leave, etc. etc., but this is such a great opportunity for you, etc. etc. You know the drill. What do you think?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/29/2007 11:00 AM  

  • The line I used when I moved jobs within the same organisation was that "I feel need a new challenge". Roughly translated, "I don't want to die with 'pushing papers in your crappy department and pretending I like it' listed next to 'what I did with my life'."

    It seems like the politicking is the only thing holding you back - sod 'em, I say. If he's a good boss, he'll encourage you and wish you well with a good opportunity even if he's cursing you inside, and if he's a bad boss he'll be an arse about it for a bit - but that's part of why you're moving on, right? You won't have to deal with him any more.

    By Blogger violet, at 3/29/2007 12:42 PM  

  • I am exactly in the same position. A job will be opening up "across the hall" and I am scared about going through the same breaking-up-with-the-boss thing.

    By Blogger SUEB0B, at 3/29/2007 10:06 PM  

  • yikes! no clue!
    but hey, congratulations on the offer!
    they like you! they really like you!

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 3/30/2007 1:40 PM  

  • Dud, you take the other job if you get. And you just say, "Hello craptastic boss, better opportunity across hall. I go there now." Strange "Boris and Natasha" voice optional.

    By Blogger Christine, at 3/30/2007 10:36 PM  

  • it's horrid, isn't it? thing is, if you're sure you'll get the other, better job, it's sort of redundant feeling bad about the boss you hate.

    there. over-simplification anyone? assvice?

    ithankyew.

    By Blogger surly girl, at 3/31/2007 12:01 PM  

  • tell current job to bite your left toe and high tail it to that other department.. before the ulcer.. and the hair loss.. and the stress eating .. and the.. oh .wait thats me

    yeah good luck bear , I know you will get it

    ~mikey

    By Blogger Mikebloggery, at 4/02/2007 8:07 AM  

  • I know we haven't 'known' each other long so when I was going to post my comment I thought I had better preface by saying; "I just went through something similar 3 months ago". My comment is;

    No matter how much you like your job and your boss, when you give your 2 weeks... GIVE TWO WEEKS. Don't do a 2 MONTH resignation like I did. Oh man that was hard! LOL.


    (I gave 2 WEEKS notice but told them I would work 1 or 2 extra weeks to give them time to find someone and then I would train them for a couple days. They drug their feet and I worked TWO MONTHS!!! And then I trained the new lady for 2 days and on the 3rd day she walked in the office and quit on the spot! She said they couldn't pay her enough money to do what I was training her to do!)

    I left that day too. LOL.

    By Blogger Me, at 4/05/2007 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home