"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Audiophilia and Regrets be damned.

Congratulations to TheBoy for landing a job. He's been interviewing with this company for about 4 weeks now, and he got the phone call this evening. It looks like he starts on Monday and we couldn't be happier. Especially since last Friday I decided that i couldn't stand it anymore and we went out for drinks and dinner at a restaurant that is not exactly "cheap". I wanted a beer, dammit. Some overpriced, micro-brewed beer.

While i could have easily stopped at one pint, I had a second, and felt guilty about it all weekend.

Well, no more! Now i can buy as much over-priced beer as i want.

Sort of.

I mean, now that i know that we're not going to starve to death and then have our malnourished bodies eaten by the dogs, we can relax a little. But that doesn't mean that some of us can go back to their less-than-frugal lifestyle and continue to purchase crap that they don't need nor will ever use just for the sake of buying it. And guess what?

I actually don't mean me.

Ha! I know! I'm the woman! It should be me who goes shopping for fun and as a means for stress-release. But in our case, it's just not me. In fact, i usually feel an over-whelming sense of guilt when shopping and wind up not buying anything. Even those pants that look really good on me. Do you know how hard it is to buy pants that fit? It's really, really hard. But i put them back. Know why? The Guilt.

The Guilt runs deep from childhood and i know its some kind of parental programming from watching my mother struggle with the bills when i was a kid. She had a keen handle on The Guilt, but claims she didn't mean to pass that kind of psychosis onto her children. I guess kids pay attention to more than we may think.

TheBoy, however, is not in tune to The Guilt and has amassed, over many years, a vast music collection that is truly enviable to anyone else who may consider themselves an "audiophile". The collection takes up an entire room of the house. I mean, it's not like you can't step into the room, it just lines the walls of an entire room. Like up to the ceilings.

While this was impressive when we first met, it is not quite so impressive now that i am living with it. (Especially since he's kind of anal about his cds. He doesn't know that i borrow them. I'm not really encouraged to take them out of the house. He says i'm not responsible with my cds and can't really be trusted with his. This may be true. But I chose not to listen).

The cd collection has become ungainly, as his live on bookshelves which waste a lot of space. Considering that most people with this amount usually store them in special file cabinets to use space more wisely which are HUGELY expensive pieces of furniture. Perhaps i should mention that there are over 18,000 of them.

The cds are taking over, is what i'm saying.

Aside from the space they take up, there is a certain cost associated with keeping up any collection. Especially when the collector does not have The Guilt.

Luckily, i think that this 2 month uh, sabbatical, from a paycheck will be inspiration enough to curb the shopping habit he has and will force him to take a deeper, longer look at what he spends.

Or perhaps give me more balls to tell him to cut that shit out until we can actually afford to spend money for no reason.

These are all things we can look forward to. Until then, new job! Monday! Wheeeee!!!

And, last week's post about regretting inviting people to this page? I think i'm just going to ignore those tugging regrets for just a little while. (Apparently).

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

  • Yay about TheBoy and his job! Yayayayayay!!

    And also, cats are more likely to eat their owners' bodies than dogs. In fact, I hear they usually start with the nose.

    If that's not a reason to be a Dog Person, I don't know what is.

    By Blogger Jess, at 2/27/2007 11:10 PM  

  • I am the one with The Guilt in my house too. H thinks it is because he grew up watching his parents struggle with money, while I never saw my parents worry about it. I don't know. My mom is frugal and instilled that in me, while H's parents never talked to him about money. So anyway, could I write more about myself? Sorry!

    Congrats to TheBoy! Celebrate, and don't feel too guilty about it!

    By Blogger -R-, at 2/27/2007 11:11 PM  

  • 18,000? Wow.

    Please tell me that doesn't translate to 2,000 regular CDs and 16,000 Phish bootlegs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/28/2007 8:34 AM  

  • Yes, a job, a job. Yay.

    I know about this type of relationship. I would shop at thrift stores and be so proud of myself. Mr Stapler looked on in horror and urged me to shop at the mall while he amassed (only) 1500 CDs, 10 valuable guitars, antique watches, etc. He was always buying me stuff, too. I would get the VISA bills and scream...

    By Blogger SUEB0B, at 2/28/2007 8:59 AM  

  • Jessica - Cats? Really? I had no idea. Though i guess it makes sense since they could really give two shits about you while you're alive, too.

    R - The Guilt is a horrible burden. And its interesting that his family was the one without the money problems - i just assumed that's where his habits came from.

    twobusy - HA!! It's so funny that you would say that, because while he doesn't like Phish (thank god), he has a huge collection of Grateful Dead bootlegs. Which, again, i could really give a shit about. Just not my speed. But, yeah, he's got a lot of bootlegs, too...

    Suebob - are these guys brothers or something? TheBoy has 13 guitars (he hardly even plays) and a collection of watches, too - and not cheap ones. This is weird. Very weird.
    Also - these are more things to add to the 'wtf reason does he have to buy this shit' arguement.

    By Blogger claire, at 2/28/2007 9:08 AM  

  • Yay about TheBoy getting the job! I also have The Guilt, but it is more from incredible current poverty and not having a job for the past three years. Fucking school.

    By Blogger Christine, at 2/28/2007 10:00 AM  

  • yea!!! for the new job... just wait until it becomes his boring ol' job =;-)

    18,000 CDs, eh? that's about 10 times the size of mine and most people think my collection is way too big. does he really listen to all that, or is it just taking up space?

    By Blogger minijonb, at 2/28/2007 2:14 PM  

  • OH MY GOSH!!! Your life sounds IDENTICAL to mine at the moment. My husband is the one with out a job and is a collector of music, guitars, and other such things as PEZ dispensers. UGH!!

    He is also the one who spends all the money.

    I am the one with "The Guilt". I refrain from buying things, even cheap/on sale items, because I know I will feel guilty if I buy stuff. I think I learned this thriftiness from my parents who actually never had money problems as I grew up. My husbands parents have NO idea how to handle money and I think he learned his ways from them.... ARGH.

    CONGRATULATIONS ON THE JOB!!!

    By Blogger ~Plain Jane~, at 2/28/2007 2:25 PM  

  • christine - fucking school, indeed. but hey - at least you'll have a future after that fucking school. I'd say your poverty days are numbered. you bitch. :)

    minijonb - of course he doesn't listen to all of that. could you imagine how long it would take for him to listen to all of the shit he's bought? probably longer than his lifetime. but i would have to do the math to figure it out and i'm just not smart enough.

    plain jane - PEZ dispensers?? Oh GOD, you poor thing! And oh, The Guilt. It is crippling...

    By Blogger claire, at 2/28/2007 3:18 PM  

  • I am torn, because although I see nothing wrong with indulging in one's interests or hobbies, or splurging on one's self. I see your point. And take pride in the fact that your imbred guilty and frugality has convinced me to NOT renew my subscription to In Style magazine.

    Because you know: (1) the magazine is just too huge to handle, (2) who can afford the stuff the advertise, (3) why do I really need it.

    By Blogger Orelinde_03, at 3/09/2007 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home