"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

No proof-reading here. No time. Hooray for bad grammar.

I have small-head syndrome today.

I didn't notice it until I just looked in the mirror in the bathroom, but yeah. Small head. I decided this morning that not only did I not have time to actually do my hair, but also that I just didn't feel like it, so I put my hair up into a pony tail (which is a sad little excuse for a pony tail, since I've cut my hair to just about shoulder-length) and put on a sort of bulky, turtleneck sweater. The bulkiness of the sweater combined with the lack of hair mass has made me look kind of awkward and disproportionate.
Ie: Small-head Syndrome. Am I the only one that has ever thought about this? Ugh. I shouldn't even care - I am so, so tired today.

---------------------------

In other news, I am finally finished with class. My last ceramics class was last night and now I am completely finished with my Associates and therefore, a college graduate. Hooray! It's only a 2-year degree, but it took me 4 years to do it and I am so happy that I finally have a piece of paper to say that I've done something. Or at least I will have a piece of paper. Soon. I think. Though, I really have no idea when it will be arriving...

Also, I have no definitive plans for my bachelors (still) and both my parents are on my back about what I'm going to do next semester and what do you mean you haven't applied anywhere yet? and did you go talk to a transfer counselor? and did you research any scholarships? you must be eligible for something! you're not going to go to that crap-school, are you? Etc. I am stressed out enough without them getting all persnickety about it because, seriously. What the fuck am I doing? I can't believe I haven't applied anywhere yet and that I don't know where to go next and I really should go to a good school because my grades are good enough to be able to get in somewhere with a name and I need to go somewhere important for crissakes. Right?

No, probably not. It is only my bachelors. I am planning to continue after that for my MBA (I think) so that's the time I should worry about going to fucking Princeton or something. Not for my bachelors. No one will care where I got that. I think. Hope. Ugh.

So for now, I'm looking into a local SUNY (State University of NY) college because OHMYGOD is it cheap and I'm not one to pass up something cheap. They're not exactly ivy league or anything but hey, they're local. And cheap. Dad would like me to try for St. John's University because they're a fancy-dancy law school with a nice reputation, but $888 per credit (x3 credits = $2,664 per class hello I don't think so) is sort of restricting me from applying there. (Also, I just found that the campus that is nearby is just for Grad students, thank god. So I am off the hook, there.)

I have been receiving all kinds of college brochures like you do as a junior in high school and they're all so tempting and inviting and yet, I'm not going to Arizona or North Carolina because, dammit, I have a LIFE here and can't just up and leave. Though, believe me, I would love to- but it's just not feasible. Maybe I can convince TheBoy to leave his job, sell his house and spend 2 years out in the desert, but I don't think that's going to happen. Not for nothing.

Everything is all up in the air again and I'm going to have to settle it out. Will I take off the Spring semester? Yeah, probably, unless I start as an unmatriculated student which is still a possibility.

Just make it stop, please, ok? I think I've had enough of this.

10 Comments:

  • Back in the day, my parents got their bachelors at SUNY-Stonybrook... no one has ever complained about it, especially them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/20/2006 12:57 PM  

  • minijonb - honestly, Stony Brook is a whole other ball of wax. That's where i started (and withdrew) out of high school. It's a VERY good school with a great reputation in the sciences and such, so they shouldn't complain about it. I, however, am looking into SUNY Farmingdale, which is a much smaller school that had been a 2-year school until about 10 years ago when they took on bachelors programs. It's not Stony Brook, is what i'm saying. I wish i had finished at SBU when i had the chance; i wouldn't be in this situation now.

    By Blogger claire, at 12/20/2006 2:00 PM  

  • I have an idea...How about you come to Ohio State? They have an EXCELLENT business school, and it's not THAT far from New York. The Midwest could use someone with your rapier wit!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/20/2006 2:45 PM  

  • i here dowling is good for biz

    don't know the price offhand



    anon m

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/20/2006 5:17 PM  

  • i always figured it was the degree, not the school that mattered so much, unless of course it's flybynight U or something. your decision is the one i'd make if presented with the choice.
    no, actually i'd go to Reed.
    no, actually, i'd keep the money and take a vacation.
    wait- didnt you just....?

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 12/20/2006 6:08 PM  

  • cassie - maybe i could commute? would probably be a long drive...

    anon m - Dowwwlingggg?! Bleh! And they are $578 per credit as apposed to FMD's $181. No thank you.

    firstnations - I agree. When i was first applying out of high school, i wanted to go to a university in the Hamptons but was told that they were losing their accreditation. They did, a few years ago, and now i'm mostly glad i didn't go there. That fly-by-night thing could be a factor if you're not paying attention.

    By Blogger claire, at 12/21/2006 9:59 AM  

  • From what I hear, Stony Brook keeps getting bigger and bigger. It's like a Borg. It'll end up as big as Michigan State or Ohio State eventually.

    By that token, SUNY-Farmingdale will probably continue to grow in size and reputation. If it's convienient and (relatively) cheap, then it's a great way to go.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/21/2006 1:35 PM  

  • There are definite good-school advantages, mostly in the connections you will make.

    If I had to do it all over again, I would go to the best school I could get into and pay the bills later and not worry about having a life somewhere. College sends you on a path to a new life, and the direction it takes might surprise you in wonderful ways.

    By Blogger SUEB0B, at 12/22/2006 10:52 AM  

  • Congratulations! Do we get to see photos of your diploma? How about your ceramics?

    I'm going to advise you the opposite of suebob. When I went for my BFA I probably could have gone ivy league, like my sister, or cheap state school, like my brother. But ohhh nooo, I had to go to NYU film school, or I was gonna die. It was what I wanted to do at the time and living in the city changed my life and all, but, in retrospect, I've got a degreee I never use and will be paying off my student loans until I retire.

    Let's face it, where you went to school only has cachet for so long. It's true you can make connections, but only if you're not working 3 jobs at a time (as I did) to afford going there. I say save your money and go to SUNY or CUNY for your BA. You can always scale up for your Master's, if you have good grades.

    Good luck!

    P.S. My head is always small.

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 12/22/2006 3:23 PM  

  • A "big name" school can get you opportunities you wouldn't otherwise get. Some jobs and advanced degree programs do care to a certain extent you went. But if you do well at any school, you honestly shouldn't have a problem. Good luck with your decision!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/22/2006 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home