"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I am anything but preachy.

So after all that shit on Monday, I decided to stay home yesterday and recover from whatever the hell it was that was vexing me. I think it was satan. Or maybe allergies. Hard to tell.

It has been awhile, hasn’t it. And thank you to TwoBusy for pointing that out and placing bets on my next post... Which is precisely why I’m posting today! Spite. It is my greatest motivator.

Things have changed around again at work and I think for the better. After petitioning and a little begging, they’ve moved me back downstairs to the older, homier office space (where the rest of my department is – go figure) and I finally feel like I belong to my new department. I can actually ask my co-workers questions, people who know what I’m talking about rather than just staring at me slack-jawed. Also, it’s much less quiet down here. MUCH less quiet. So I feel a whole lot less conspicuous than I did upstairs in the library-quiet ivory tower of executives. Down here is a little dirtier, a little rowdier, and a whole lot more comfortable.

The problem, though, is that I have less privacy than I did in my cube upstairs, so even though I wasn’t posting much upstairs, it was mostly because I was trying to learn my job. Not because of the spies. Down here, I have a woman sitting across the aisle who can see what I’m doing if she just cocks her head slightly to the side. Not that I think she cares, but I’ve lived in No-Innernets-At-Work fear for far too long to give up the paranoia now. So for now, I will be trying to be all covert-like and sly with my posting. We’ll see how this works out.

Yesterday morning I woke up at the normal time and threw myself at the bathroom and tried to get myself pumped up to take a shower. Instead, I wound up sitting with my eyes closed on the bathroom floor with BigDog, and decided to say ‘fuck that shit’ and get back into bed. I haven’t taken a sick day since July, so I figured I was about due for one. I called in to work and snuggled down with my favorite thing in the whole wide world, my pillow. My sweet, soft,loving pillow who loves me and misses me when I go. Oh, how it misses me and I it. Mmmm… pillow.

As TheBoy was getting ready for work (the sucker), we had MSNBC on the tv and they were talking about the 9/11 memorial that was going to be going on later in the day. I was only half-listening so after TheBoy left, I kept the tv on as background noise and tried to get back to sleep.

While I was drifting in and out of sleep, I’m pretty sure they played the original news footage from 9/11 in its entirety without interruption or commentary from the news people.

If there was any punishment for calling in sick for no good reason, that was it.

Wow, I had some of the most horrific dreams i have ever had. I didn’t see it coming and I woke up in a cold sweat.

I don’t really have much more commentary than that, because as tempted as I am, I don’t want to get into a post-9/11 dissertation that may perhaps ruffle some feathers. I am not a ruffler. I will just say that a few months ago, I did watch the full news footage from that day and it is really incredible to see it all as the events progressed, knowing what we know now. Horrible and frightening, but since we already know what’s coming it is interesting to watch as the speculation unfolds. If you’re feeling strong, I recommend watching it for yourself. And remembering.

That’s all.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Yay, you're back! I missed you. :o)

    I didn't know they re-ran the footage. I'm kind of glad I was in class that morning, and missed it. Suckage for you.

    My dream last night was that while I was single, I had a one-night stand with Liza Minelli. Is that almost as horrifying?

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 9/12/2007 3:44 PM  

  • i was in on the original from the time of the first hit. i will never forget that day. i still have nightmares. therefore I can state with the utmost certainly that nothing comes close to the sheer horror of that time except Liza Minelli.

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 9/13/2007 10:48 AM  

  • da nator - Is that dream born of some unconscious adoration? hmm? yeah, we all know about you, ms. nator...

    first nations - i was at work where we were listening to the radio. i only got to see it later in snippets for the next few days (gah, weeks?). so to see the whole feed was definitely interesting. but then there's liza, apparently.

    By Blogger claire, at 9/13/2007 11:28 AM  

  • Mmm... spite. Haterade with lemon-lime flavoring -- you can't beat it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/14/2007 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home