"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Monday, June 25, 2007

Fox News.

This weekend, TheBoy and I went for a little 4 mile hike in the woods. It was all my idea and i was really psyched to get out and go hiking because it's gotten way too long in between days in the woods, and i love hiking. Love. Yet by the time we hit mile 2, i wanted someone to come pick me up and drive me back to the car. I was beat. Which was totally sad since it wasn't even that hot out.

Also, i was a little bored. Which is totally strange. I'm not sure what to attribute that to.

Maybe it was the fact that we were 'hiking' down a bridle trail - which is not hiking at all, but walking. In the woods. The bridle (not bridal - that would be something totally different) trail is really soft sandy-dirt and the uneven, soft ground was driving me crazy (but woo! workout!) with very little scenery at all. I know, what the hell am i expecting, right? Yeah, i don't know. The lack of anything going on around us caused us to use all the strategically placed piles of horse poo as major sources of entertainment; every time we passed one TheBoy would make fart/potty noises which amused us both to no end. Farts=funny, people. There's no denying that.

Once we finally made it off the bridle path and onto a real, solid path, things brightened up a bit. There were creeks! And chipmunks! A rabbit! A deer hiding in the trees! So many things more interesting than horse shit. I know it's hard to fathom.

Somewhere halfway through, we stopped to sit on a bench that was set up in a clearing by the fish hatchery. TheBoy was making a phone call (cause what's a hike without your Blackberry, eh?) and just staring off into space when he saw something, that at first registered as a 'dog', walking on the path we had just come from.

"That's a fox!"

Shocking! I've never, ever seen a fox (i don't think.. that i can remember..) in real life. It was a lot bigger than i thought it would be - like the size of a cocker spaniel, i guess. So we gauked at the fox and it stared back at us, until it decided that we were way too excited to see it and he ran away.

And i'm sure some of you are like, "yeah, whatever, Claire. I've got a fox sleeping in the marigolds out front," To which i would respond, "wow," and "that's really interesting," but this is my story, and i've never seen one in person, and it was kind of exciting for me, if you don't mind.

Don't steal my fox thunder.

By the time we wandered out of the woods, i wanted to fall down in the parking lot and go to sleep, but overall, a nice hike... or walk. You know.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

  • The fox thing is exciting news. I randomly saw one trotting around on the grass divider on I-95 into Philly. I was just as excited.

    Also, perhaps you were bored by hiking because you finally came to your senses and realized how boring hiking is. Play Wii instead.

    By Blogger Jess, at 6/25/2007 2:52 PM  

  • Personally, I always find it exciting when I see something unusual like a fox, or coyote, or fisher. Chipmunks and pigeons? Not so much.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/26/2007 8:21 AM  

  • WILDLIFE ROOLZ!!! Yeah, I'd get excited by a fox, for sure. We's city folk.

    I got all excited every time I saw a mongoose or a gecko in Hawaii, or a hummingbird, coati or monkey in Costa Rica, and apparently those critters are like the squirrels, rats and pigeons of those places. But they were unusual to me!

    Also, I still kind of enjoy watching squirrels, rats and pigeons. I guess it's a good thing I'm going to vet tech school. ;o)

    Thanks for sharing - sounds like fun. Where was the hike?

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 6/26/2007 12:53 PM  

  • i'm not going to steal any thunder. i've seen a fox a few times up north over the past few years near my parents place. i'm amazed everytime i see that red coat slinking along the ground.

    did you come up with a name for your fox?

    By Blogger minijonb, at 6/26/2007 1:32 PM  

  • i have seen one fox. it was BRIGHT ORANGE. i mean, like it had been dyed. as soon as it trotted into the tall grass you could not see the thing.
    this still amazes me.
    i spraypaint all my garden tools bright orange and i can see them in the grass just fine.

    it could have been a magic fox, though.

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 6/27/2007 11:39 PM  

  • I am totally on board with the Wii instead of outdoors (allergies , bugbites, animals with fleas , poop, people ,ALLERGIES ,heat).

    By Blogger Mikebloggery, at 6/28/2007 6:41 AM  

  • Claire? Hello?

    (tapping on glass)

    Anyone in there?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/25/2007 8:31 AM  

  • Dude, where ARE you?

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 7/31/2007 7:08 AM  

  • Claire, honestly my darling, fuck the foxes. it's time to post something new.

    POST SOMETHING NEW!

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 8/05/2007 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home