"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

It's all so inconvenient.

Well, no news yet but the interviews both went pretty well. I have to say that the HR part could have been less uncomfortable had the HR chick not pointed out one of my work flaws to me and asked me to explain it.

I said i didn't like her, right? Yeah. That was not a casual statement. There be reasons, yo.

But things are moving along. I've been in touch with Prospective Manager (maybe a little too much - i think I'm starting to annoy him) and he seems very positive about the whole situation so i have let my breath out a bit. I just get to wait some more now.

Stupid waiting.

------------------

Otherwise, i went to a transfer day at school last week and sat down with an admissions counselor from my first-ish* choice 4-year school. I was easily and painlessly accepted and handed a "we are pleased to inform you" letter right there on the spot.

But now i have the head ache of trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for this. If I go to college part time, only 2 classes a semester... i am going to be paying oh.. around... $4,680. And that's strictly just for those 2 classes.

That does not include the fees: parking fee, administrative fee, university fee, technology fee, book fee, paper fee, bug spray fee, lawn fee, god-damn toilet paper fee, etc.

Going to a community college for my associates degree is probably the best thing i could have done. The point is to get all of the credits you will need to fulfill any bachelors degree for 1/2 the cost than doing it at a 4-year school. And it was. I was able to pay for all of those classes with my debit card and it was awesome. AWESOME.

And now I'm off to see the financial aid fairies and hope that they can help me. Because $780 PER CREDIT (multiply that by 6) is going to be really hard for me to just write a check for. Why? Because i am poor. Apparently.

Chances are however, that i am not poor enough to receive real financial aid. I think you need to be making $7.00 an hour or less to qualify for financial aid, and for once, i am sad that i make more than that. Who knew that day would come.

So next we go to the scholarship fairies to see if they would like to bestow any gifts upon me. I will probably qualify for something, but it will probably be something like $500 a semester for being such a super cool person. $500 will just about cover the textbooks and gas i will need to commute. That is not even 1/3 of one class.

That sucks. It sucks eggs, is what.

I'm off to fill out a FAFSA form and hope for the best.

Though that would be so much easier if i had my W2 on me... dammit.

*I still don't know what i want to be when i grow up. I still don't know where i want to go. This is only my first choice because i know it is a good school and that it is not more than an hour away. If i actually had a career goal, this would be easier for me.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

  • Glad to hear the interviews went pretty well. May the HR woman develop the herp. Preferably smack in the middle of her lower lip. (*ahem* I can make such curses because I'm currently living through it.)

    And school sucks. Here's hoping that you'll get something through FAFSA because approximately $10 a year is a LOT.

    By Blogger Christine, at 4/25/2007 11:53 AM  

  • um, 10 thousand a year.

    By Blogger Christine, at 4/25/2007 12:45 PM  

  • Great to hear that the interviews went well! And good luck with the Fafsa. They gave me SQUAT. Stupid Fafsa. Here's hoping you have better luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2007 1:01 PM  

  • Yeah, but the toilet paper fee is probably worth it.

    Glad to hear the interviews went well. All applicable fingers/toes are crossed on yr behalf. Hope both the job and FAFSA come through for you...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2007 1:11 PM  

  • Does your current employer have any kind of tuition reimbursement? A perk like that goes a looong way.

    By Blogger minijonb, at 4/25/2007 1:14 PM  

  • Ugh! I know this feeling all too well. :( Good luck with FAFSA...it didn't do anything for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2007 3:34 PM  

  • there's always pel grants right?

    loans and loans and loans!!

    weeee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2007 6:10 PM  

  • I'm not sure what FAFSA is for anymore, but it's not for gainfully employed 100% born-here Americans. Swear. One of the main reasons I quit college a few years ago after one semester was the thought of paying back thousands of dollars' worth of loans in my mid-fifties. Nope, didn't want to spend the rest of my life paying back money for something that probably wasn't going to give me much more enjoyment in life than I enjoy now. I don't know how adults go to college now. I guess I'm just too frigging cheap, although the word "cheap" used in this context probably needs defining.

    The very best of luck to you, Interviewee! You've no doubt got this locked up tight, you know, you know. You know

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2007 10:16 PM  

  • sorry i aint been around but i've been busy blowing chow in the bathroom sink and like that, yo.
    ahem. now then.
    you will do fine.
    you will get the job.
    hr goes out of their way to be unlikeable.
    FAFSA hands out money like they print the stuff. really. they gave me a free ride through college (although i ended up with a degree i don't use in a specialty i hate the skills turned out to be super useful...)
    i am sending you virtual vodka collinses.
    ***********
    transmission complete.
    Xoo

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 4/26/2007 3:49 PM  

  • Oh. My. God. Just reading about going back to school and tuition and financial aid made me nauseous.

    Have I mentioned that I will be lucky if I pay off my student loans before I retire?

    Good luck!

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 4/26/2007 10:24 PM  

  • Closing my eyes, putting my fingers in my ears and saying la la la about the whole cost of college thing. BabyGirl is 16 now and college is looming.....

    We haven't saved a cent. We were so busy trying to live on what we made we didn't even HAVE a savings account until last year!

    By Blogger Me, at 4/29/2007 11:34 AM  

  • Still waiting???????

    By Blogger Me, at 4/30/2007 1:33 PM  

  • He-he-he....you said toilet paper fee.

    By Blogger Orelinde_03, at 5/21/2007 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home