"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Bush Talk. But not what you think.

The Boy needs to have a talk with the Dogs.
I have a feeling they would listen to him.

On Sunday, in an attempt to curb Little Dog's suicidal tendencies, we planted some bushes along the fence-line to get in her way when she is running back and forth. The idea here is that the bushes will get in her way, perhaps stopping her from having a straight run and working herself into a full-out frenzy like the last time. You know, heat stroke. Because she's a little 'touched'. Ya'll know.

I was hoping to be able to buy a few BIG bushes to plant there to speed up the process of stopping her, but in case you didn't know, big bushes are really damn expensive. And we'll probably need about 6 of them and I really just don't have a 'bush budget' right now*. See the previous post about my bank account.

My father was nice enough to give me some pieces from his yard that he was going to weed out anyway. They're all the same type (though damned if I know what they are) and they grow very quickly and are actually quite nice looking. (Well in his yard, anyway.) The pieces that he gave me are very small and twiggy "so that the roots will 'take' without having to support the whole plant" he says. Apparently too many leaves and the thing won't be able to produce roots. Whatever. He tells me they grow quickly so I will believe him. And the roots are also kind of short and unhappy looking.

The ending result is that The Boy and I dug some holes, and stuck a bunch of green, leafy, sticks half-way in the dirt and watered them**.

Big Dog was very happy that we laid out this buffet for her.

Big Dog likes sticks. She likes it that we put these out just for her and made them so easy to grab. Even if she doesn't decide to pull them out and DRAG them across the yard, she can just as easily chew on them as they stick straight up. She has tried both ways and both are to her liking.

We are THE BEST. Like ever.




*This is going to direct a whole lot of people here that will be very disappointed.
**Pictures soon, I swear.

6 Comments:

  • dogs are so naughty!!!
    ack!

    good luck. :-)

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, at 5/09/2006 11:41 AM  

  • oh god. LOL. What kind of dog is Little Dog?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/09/2006 1:56 PM  

  • Hmmmm...tomato cages around each stick? They're cheap, too....we use them extensively in our yard.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/09/2006 2:09 PM  

  • kyahgirl - SO NAUGHTY! I think they do it to get to me.

    jonniker - Little Dog is some kind of mix. We're sure there's pitbull in there, but the rest is unclear. Guesses have been Rhodesian Ridgeback, Basenji and Lab.

    whinger - Hmm... will have to check the Depot for those. That's a very good idea. So smart!

    By Blogger claire, at 5/09/2006 2:19 PM  

  • Although there are benefits to owning a home and a yard and stuff... I am just not ready for bush yet. Good thing my new yard will consist of one square foot of mulch in front of the door.

    By Blogger Jess, at 5/09/2006 4:36 PM  

  • I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/20/2006 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home