"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Perhaps you'd like another meme?

Well, no one liked the rollerskating nuns, so it looks like i'll have to try another approach. (But.. look! They're playing pool! What, no? Fine.)

Here's a meme from my new imaginary friend, Cassie. She was an English major, so i'll try not to sully up this meme with my crap 'literature':

1) One book that changed your life: On the Road, by Jack Kerouac (changed, mostly because this book was instrumental in getting to know TheBoy before we started dating).


2) One book that you’d read more than once:
The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer-Bradley (I. Love. This. Book. LOVE IT)


3) One book you’d want on a deserted island:
Survive on a Desert Island, by Claire Llewellyn (obviously)

4) One book that made you laugh: A Certain Chemistry, by Mil Millington (of Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About fame – which also made me laugh).

5) One book that made you cry: The Velveteen Rabbit, by Margery Williams (it still makes me cry. Shut up).


6) One book you wish you’d written: Uh… really...um…? How about The DaVinci Code, because it was so damn successful.


7) One book you wish had never been written: Anything written by Ann Coulter. Pick one. Pick them all… doesn’t matter.


8) One book you’re currently reading: The Wonders of the Invisible World, by David Gates. It’s a book of short stories – I like the way he writes. You find yourself getting sucked in even though they’re only 15 or 20 pages long.


9) One book you’ve been meaning to read: I have complained forever that I am not as well-read as I should be. I blamed my high school curriculum for not being as intensive as, say, any of the other district in the county.

Now at age 25 it is my fault, not theirs, and I’m trying to get all of my classics in, I don’t know, before it die.

I need to read: Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice (I know), The Grapes of Wrath (which I own, but haven’t cracked yet), Anna Karenina (which I also own), The Picture of Dorian Gray, anything by Vonnegut, some Dickens, Hemmingway… How about: Most of what you read in high school and college English classes. That’s what I need to read. Because I am ambitious, but un-disciplined. I never even read Animal Farm. EVERYONE read Animal Farm. Gah.

10) Tag five people: Ur, how about 4. Tagging: Da Nator, First Nations, Minijonb and Orelinde… if you don’t want to do it, I won’t cry. I promise.

13 Comments:

  • egads! i've been tagged!!!

    i'll have to put my thinking cap on for this... it's not just a top 5 list... there's a lot of auxiliary info i need to collect.

    ...and what did Ann Coulter do to you, anyway? give a rabid dog a break =;-)

    By Blogger minijonb, at 10/24/2006 11:55 AM  

  • minijonb- it took me some time on amazon to figure them all out. i'll give you till tomorrow. :P
    Ann Coulter? That rabid dog needs to be shot. Ooh. Ouch - maybe i shouldn't say that... you know, on the innernets. Ah, well.

    By Blogger claire, at 10/24/2006 12:14 PM  

  • OHMYGOD...The Velveteen Rabbit makes me cry too. Like a freaking baby. That book and The Old Man and the Afternoon Cat(by Michaela Muntean) are my favorite children's books.

    By Blogger Christine, at 10/24/2006 12:20 PM  

  • christine - ooh, i don't think i know those other ones. will have to check them out. :) If you want to do the meme, feel free...

    By Blogger claire, at 10/24/2006 2:37 PM  

  • I don't know if I can be your imaginary friend if you've never read 'Pride and Prejudice.' I think we're over, Claire. ;)

    But seriously...I have owned 'The Mists of Avalon' for years and haven't read it. I know I really need to do that -- EVERYONE talks about it.

    I've also never read Ann Coulter, and there's a reason for that, I think. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/24/2006 2:59 PM  

  • Shh. Don't even mention that rabbit.

    I liked the nuns! I was just away.

    Well, I suppose it's fair I've been tagged, since I tagged you. It may take me a little while, as I'm quite busy after being away. Unless my suspicions that I've done this one some time ago are correct, in which case, all I need to do is find it...

    I'm sure you're waiting with baited breath. Baited, rabbity breath...

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 10/24/2006 3:04 PM  

  • ETA: A-ha!!! I did do a very similar one. And here it is.

    Isn't it sad that we both mentioned Ann Coulter?

    Is it even sadder that I'm still working through the Theroux book, having gotten bored with it in places and diverted to magazines, short stories and a collection of the year's best comics?

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 10/24/2006 3:08 PM  

  • I already did this meme, chickie-bon bon. Way long gazongas ago.

    I will say that out of all your
    'I gotta reads' the only one you'll genuinely enjoy is The Grapes of Wrath. I hereby exempt you from any guilt at not having read Jane Austen. Bad Jane. Poopy Jane. Simpy Jane potty pants.

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 10/24/2006 6:10 PM  

  • Cassie - Ugh, i'm soo embarrassed... :) YOU MUST read Mists of Avalon. Love that book, truly, truly.

    da nator - i'm glad you liked the nuns. I was hoping someone would. Rabbity breath..
    da nator - nuts, i'm striking out with this one. and there is no surprise that someone else said they hate her. anyone else can say that really. the devil, she is.

    FN - Ah, poop. You've done it too... well, i'll take your recommendation into consideration and make it the next book that i might try to read. But probably won't because it hasn't happened so far.

    By Blogger claire, at 10/25/2006 12:03 PM  

  • Ok, Jane Eyre is not as fascinating as many people believe. I had done a book report on it, in 10th or 11th grade, and the book used to put me to sleep.
    However Ida loves that book!

    My favorite author is Nora Roberts, and my favorite book of all time is (and don't laugh) To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.

    I'm all set to read The Picture of Dorian Gray with you though...just say the word. Although that is a book I started, and then put aside for later reading.

    By Blogger Orelinde_03, at 10/26/2006 8:11 AM  

  • http://sarcasm--cynicismviews--spews.blogspot.com/

    I did mines on my blog.

    By Blogger Orelinde_03, at 10/26/2006 11:00 AM  

  • ok... i finally finished.

    By Blogger minijonb, at 10/26/2006 9:35 PM  

  • ... and don't get me wrong, you can tag me with a meme any day. i just like poking fun at the whole meme process and the way they mutate.

    By Blogger minijonb, at 10/27/2006 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home