"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Co-workers and Controversy

There is some decidedly weird shit going on around here.

Last Friday, the co-worker in the nextdoor cubicle just up and left. No warning, no notice, nothing. Just dropped her letter of resignation and ID badge on Boss's desk and ran out the door. It was so weird and unexpected, especially since she and I were pretty friendly. No one knows what happened and those of us who considered her a friend are all pretty worried. Especially since she is not accepting phone calls or anything. So weird. And so unlike her, she's usually the 'professional' one - normally has to handle everything in a certain way - you know the type. And it just made my stomach churn all day Friday.

Ugh.

And besides, I was supposed to be the one to leave, dammit. Now I'm stuck here all alone and she just might have made it harder for me to abandon the place since she got the fuck out with no warning.

But it doesn't really matter anyway. The job search is at full half-throttle and I'm sending out my newly remastered resume, compliments of S, who helped me tremendously - really, thank you. And so far... nothing. Not a single damn response other than the auto-generated ones you get from some companies. I even replied to an add where they will pay me in horseback riding lessons* for some office work and not even they have contacted me. The don't even want to pay me nothing for me to come work for them.


-------------------

In other news, this week is the American Library Associations Banned Books Week. Read a book that has been challenged this week to celebrate your freedom to, you know, read. Something controversial like, oh... The Great Gatsby ...or... Gone with the Wind... you know, something really dirty.

Granted, those two were challenged a long time ago, right? Like when showing your bare ankles was racy.

Ok, then how about, To Kill a Mockingbird which is still being challenged this year?

What the fuck.

Interestingly, "according to ALA, at least 42 of the Radcliffe Publishing Course Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century have been the target of ban attempts". Check out that list of books. Many of them are in middle & high school curricula all over the country.

This just shows that parents have had a stick up their ass about what their children are reading for years now.

On the Top 100 list: James and the Giant Peach
Seriously? Were there homo-erotic undertones that I don't remember?

Perhaps the most risque' of them all: Where's Waldo?

What the fuck.





*Just as a weekend thing. Shut up, I've always wanted to take horseback riding lessons and I never could before. I will gladly answer phones and file papers in exchange for horseback riding. If I could live on the love of horses and saddle sores, I would gladly do it full time. But you know. Priorities.

11 Comments:

  • James and the Giant Peach! My favorite book, ever, seriously. Roald Dahl rocked the house, and he also rocks the banned book list, which makes me wonder if that might be why he's on that list. Did Aunt Spiker really offend that deeply?

    The Witches, though, well, that did. But how great was that book?

    As for the coworker shit. Crikey, that's nuts.

    Also a note to let you know that I am always reading, even if I forget to comment. Bloglines has really muffed up my commenting skills lately.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/27/2006 11:14 AM  

  • Wow, Im so going to re-read James and the Giant sex symbol now

    ~mb

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/27/2006 11:34 AM  

  • I never read or saw James & The Giant Peach. Will have to do so now.

    And C~ you are not allowed to leave me alone here with the two in the cubes next to me. No way jose!

    Why didn't you tell me you want to go horse back riding. I love it and have been looking for someone to do it with.

    By Blogger Orelinde_03, at 9/27/2006 11:37 AM  

  • wow. co-workier leaving like that is quite the shock. usually there is some hint as to what's going on.

    if you need some mutual support in the job search arena, i'm with you. i had an interview last week here at my company for another position... and a super-secret interview on the phone this week. shhh... =;-)

    By Blogger minijonb, at 9/27/2006 3:01 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 9/27/2006 3:36 PM  

  • Damn that co-worker! Making it impossible for you to quit first! I do hope she's OK, though.

    Humans are weird, always trying to tell you what to read and not read, believer or not believe. Like the whole thing about calling the Teletubbies gay, when clearly they were just a big drug metaphor.

    I would totally work for horse riding lessons, too, if 1.) I could afford no salary and 2.) Mrs. Nator let me. I'm sort of verboten to ride horses since that whole incident in Costa Rica where one threw me on my head. Hey, I got better!

    Best of luck on your job search. Chin up and "carry on," as Tim Gunn would say. Do keep us informed.

    BTW, mind if I add you to my blog roll?

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 9/27/2006 3:37 PM  

  • freaky. i hate it when people do that kind of crap. at least have the class to give me a lil'secret headsup a couple of minutes before you split, let me know you arent being hunted down by the damn Mob or something....

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 9/27/2006 8:38 PM  

  • jonniker - He is rocking the banned book list. I went to the library after work and borrowed James and the Giant Peach. I don't remember enough of the story to make a good enough "OH, i can't believe they're letting kids READ this" judgement. I'm wondering if it's because of the part on first page where his parents get eaten by a rhinocerous. I'm thinking the parents of the world didn't like that.
    And don't worry about that other thing. I still love you. :)

    Anon MB - That so cracked me up.

    Orelinde - I do love horseback riding. We should go sometime.

    minijonb - we can be job hunting buddies. don't worry, your secret is safe here... unless i tell. Where do you work?

    DaNator - like the whole thing about calling the Teletubbies gay, when clearly they were just a big drug metaphor
    Clearly. Tipsy and Ho had it coming: http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=990309

    By Blogger claire, at 9/27/2006 9:01 PM  

  • First Nations - Totally. For all i know, i could be the next call on the terrorist's list.
    At least she could have left a post-it.

    By Blogger claire, at 9/27/2006 9:03 PM  

  • Oh DaNator! Of course you can put me on your blogroll! :) Thanks for askin.

    By Blogger claire, at 9/27/2006 9:07 PM  

  • claire: i work... for the man!
    =;-)

    i'm interviewing for a new positions here at my current company as well, so they know i'd like a new challenge and to make more money. don't we all want to make more money?

    By Blogger minijonb, at 9/28/2006 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home