"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Monday, October 23, 2006

Hilarious Okra*

Last night, TheBoy and I ventured into Target on a search for a sheet of foam core that I need to make a pattern for my next ceramics project**. Since Target has everything one could ever need, (and more than you could want), it was a good choice since all of the office supply stores close at 6:00 on Sundays. Also, I am terribly lazy and didn't even get dressed until about 4:30 yesterday afternoon.

It proves to be difficult, if not impossible, to leave Target with only the thing you went in for because not only did we find foam core, but also a two-pack of compressed canned air (for electronics, of course) and this:


Because. Because it's Nuns.
Having Fun.

Sadly, I can't find any of the monthly pictures from this year's calendar, but here are some from last year's:
You can see what the draw is here, can't you? I mean, Nuns, people. Nuns Having Fun.

At least, that was what TheBoy's argument was. Why we HAD to have this.
Look! Nuns!

Sometimes you know you've got a good one...

-------------------------------

In other news, we carved our jack-o-lantern yesterday with TheBoy's SmallOnes. It was actually a lot more fun than I thought it would be and didn't makes nearly as much of a mess as I was preparing myself for. You know how gross pumpkin slime can be. Ew.




Carving, courtesy of TheBoy. Design by SmallBoy, age 8 (assisted by SmallGirl, age 11) and pumpkin seeds sorted, salted and toasted by yours truly.
Yum.

While I was toasting the seeds, I got into the spirit by lighting a "Spiced Cider" candle which combined with the pumpkin smell, made everything smell like pumpkin pie. Was truly autumny and yummy smelling. But I'm kind of a sucker for cinnamon and clove, so maybe I'm just biased.

Oh, but the miracle of miracles? SmallBoy actually liked the pumpkin seeds.

For reference, this is the kid who doesn't like ice cream. Nuff said.



*This was the subject of a spam mail I received this morning. I thought it was too good to pass up. What happened to the sex pills and penile enlargement adverts I used to get? They're all short stories now. Strange.

**For those that are interested? Will be a 6-sided bowl. Fancy. Like everything I do.

3 Comments:

  • wow, that is like so cosmic? because Americas Test Kitchen just did a whole segment on okra! and, wow. but it wasn't funny or anything, they just showed how to cook it. but, wow.
    i miss doing the punkie-carving thing with kids.

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 10/23/2006 3:02 PM  

  • That's nutty. I dig America's Test Kitchen.. i always learn something interesting and then never put it into practice when i cook whatever their show was on. Eh...you know. But to hear that they didn't have any funny okra is dissappointing.

    By Blogger claire, at 10/24/2006 8:34 AM  

  • Wow! The small boy not liking ice cream? What's that about? It's unAmerican to not like ice cream. I love ice cream, but alas with wacked out tummy issues, can not eat it unless want to suffer the wrath of cramping and ick feeling.

    You've GOT to try pumpkin ice cream! It totally rocks! And it is totally fall-like to eat it.

    Alas (I guess this will be my word for today, 'alas') no pumpkin carving or pumpkin picking for me this year. I have been kicked out of the pumpkin picking games because you-know-who no longer speaks with me.

    Yes, Target...the store no one escapes with just ONE item. And the nuns? That is just freaky dude!

    By Blogger Orelinde_03, at 10/24/2006 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home