"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Four days later...

I don't know why I've been putting off this update for the entire week, because really, we got back from Montauk on Sunday night. I have not been in the mood to do anything this week. Its such a shame when you get all worn out from nothing in particular and just want to crawl under your desk and nap the entire day away. Especially this week. It has gotten so cold up here, its a little weird. Like Fall has suddenly taken over without any warning and even though I like the Fall, I am just not ready to be wearing long sleeves and turtle necks. It is kind of depressing.

-----------------------

Our weekend was lovely. Really lovely. I wish we could have spent more time out east, maybe when it was still kind of warm and lay around on the beach all day, but of course, I really couldn't afford it. Even in September, when the rates are supposedly reduced it was freaking expensive. But, its a beach resort town and there's nothing you can do about it, except take it up the ass because you want to go to the freaking beach.
Which we did. And it was pretty crowded, considering how cold it was on Saturday. I mean, brrrr, cold. We laid around for a little while, but decided that it just wasn't worth it and went back to the hotel to swim in the pool which was warmer and much less crowded. I like that in a pool. Also, no sharks there to speak of.

The motel that we stayed at is one that we've been going to for the past 3 summers. Mostly because its usually the most affordable, and also because we don't know any better. From what I understand, they're all basically the same out there and I'm not a snob, I just need a bed to sleep in and a potty to use. But the rooms are damp. Like, did it rain in here? damp. I've been told they're all that way, and its just what you get for staying in a motel on the water in Montauk. So, I can deal with that. The decor is really pretty awesome, high-glaze wooden wall-paneling as far as the eye can see and exceptionally tacky art:

These gems were hanging over the bed. I'm not sure if its supposed to mean something, but man, did those guys get me in the mood. Yowza.

Sunday was probably the nicest day we were out there, which is standard for the day you're leaving. We drove out to the lighthouse, which is what you're supposed to do when you go out to Montauk - its mandatory, I think. So, here:



We didn't actually go IN or anything because its kind of expensive, especially since someone (ahem) has a fear of heights and wouldn't be able to climb to the top anyway. And I've already done it, so we didn't miss out on anything.

Instead, we took a left and hiked down the path to the beach. Which, not for nothing, was much cooler than going to the lighthouse. No joke:





And I got this shot, which I think made the rock-climb all worth it (clicky for bigger):



It was really beautiful climbing over all of the huge boulders that they have put around the base of the lighthouse (they've had trouble with erosion and I think this was their solution).


-------------------------------

On our drive home, I spotted this and had to get a picture of it.


That's a Bentley, people. A Bentley. Ugh... The Hamptons. Full of people who can drive Bentleys.

On another note, a friend of mine used to say that when she grew up she wanted to BE a Bentley.
I guess we all have our aspirations.

8 Comments:

  • Since I was a teenager, I've wanted to own a Hummer. Does that put me in the Bently catagory? I don't want it for the prestiege. I want it because they're cool (if uneocnomical) and they DO drive like a hot knife through butter.

    As always, B-E-A-utiful pictures. Maybe you should become a photo jearnolist? (SP?) Thank God you're the speller in this friendship.

    Anyway...loving the photos, if not somewhat afraid of the place you two stay at.

    By Blogger Orelinde_03, at 9/14/2006 2:11 PM  

  • Wow, I don't think I ever picked out a car as a child that I would want as an adult. And it sure was no Bently, because I didn't know they existed.

    I probably wanted a corvette. Like the one my dad renovated.

    And it looks like you had so much fun. If those minstrels could talk...

    By Blogger Christine, at 9/14/2006 4:13 PM  

  • orelinde - No, Hummers are nothing like Bentleys. That car costs $165,000.
    And? Bentleys are classy.


    christine - No, no. She wanted to BE a Bentley. And she was about 22 when she said it. :)

    By Blogger claire, at 9/14/2006 8:06 PM  

  • great photos... even the one of the Bentley.

    your friend wanted to be a Bentley??? i got nothing. that's too strange.

    By Blogger minijonb, at 9/15/2006 10:43 AM  

  • the harlequin pictures were AWESOMELY sexy and made me blow my nose inadvertantly all over the top of the desk. i thank you.
    no shit about the sudden autumn! literally in 24 hrs time it went from high summer to yellow leaves, rain and mist.
    gorgy pix of the shore.

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 9/15/2006 2:28 PM  

  • minijonb - some of us wanted to be astronauts and firemen. you know. same thing.

    first nations - they are awesomely sexy. rawrrr.
    and whats up with the rain? make it stop, please?

    By Blogger claire, at 9/15/2006 10:44 PM  

  • Glad you had a nice time. Our last beach weekend was cold, too, but then at least that always leaves time for extracurricular activities. Especially when you have fabulous harlequins turning you on...

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 9/17/2006 7:29 PM  

  • da-nator - if it wasn't for those guys, i don't know how we would have made it work. HOT, no?

    By Blogger claire, at 9/18/2006 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home