"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Friday, November 17, 2006

I'm going to get on that boat if it fricking kills me.

First of all, has anyone switched to the new blogger layout that they keep telling us about? Do we like? Yes? It's beta, so does it do anything weird? No?
Ok.

-----------------------------

This has been a pretty stressful week and I'm ready to follow it up by an even more stressful one. This week, I got my dogs situated in a very convenient, trustworthy place and I'm really, really happy that it worked out because it was going to make me go a little nutty. Once we got that under control, something else popped up on Wednesday night that is still a problem in the process of being resolved and I just hope (please. Please, please, please) that we can get our shit together before I totally go out of my mind, or before we get on the damn boat. Whichever comes first.
I swear, I never thought planning a vacation was going to play such havoc on my nerves. This is just silly.

Wednesday night I was going over some cruise-related stuff with TheBoy and it occurred to me that I'd better figure out where my passport is before I forget about it until the last minute. For some reason, that is one of those things that ends up in a 'safe place' that I can never find again. When I lived at my mothers, I knew exactly where it was and was actually hoping it might still be there. It wasn't, so I had to start turning over the house. I sent TheBoy on the same hunt so that he could find his birth certificate. (Apparently, until January 1, 2007, you can bring a Certified Birth Certificate with a raised seal and your drivers license or your passport and be fine. TheBoy's passport expired in 1986, so is not so useful. Sad.)

With a flash of memory that doesn't come quite often enough, I remembered that I had left both my passport and his birth cert in an little bag that I brought with us last year when we crossed the border to Canada. "Ah ha!" I thought, "here they are, right here with my French/English dictionary". Of course they are. I checked to make sure my passport wasn't expired (it's not) and that his birth certificate was "Certified".

It's not.

HOORAY!! Another problem!!! YAAAAAAYYYYY!

Norwegian Cruise lines will not let him on the boat. No really. All he has is a copy of his birth certificate from microfilm that explicitly says on the bottom "THIS IS NOT A CERTIFIED COPY" so you know, I know it's not certified. Not even a little. And the cruise line doesn't like that. So, either we get a real one, STAT, or I'm going on the boat by myself. ...ahem.. not that I would mind, per se, but you know... *cough*

No! We MUST get one! And quick! On to the NY City Dept of Health... They require 3-5 days for processing and then they ship it out. He ordered for it to be expedited, so the last possible day that we can receive it is the Friday after Thanksgiving. We leave that Sunday. If it does not arrive on Friday, I don't know what we're going to do because that is the last day we can go down to the office in person since they are closed on Saturday and in fact, might even be closed the day after Thanksgiving because hardly anyone is open on Black Friday, why should the government be.

Weeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Fun and excitement, I am SO HAPPY@!!@*(!))!!!!

8 Comments:

  • OMG your entry started making my heart pound and my stomach get all fluttery! Er, I mean, it'll be fine! Everything will work out! Don't worry about a thing!

    It reminds me of the whole getting-invited-to-St. Maarten-two weeks-after-meeting-TheBoy thing. I had to expedite a passport. It got to my house even quicker than the two weeks they said it would take.

    So yeah, it'll work out and then you'll be on a cruise and getting sun and Iamsojealous!

    And if it doesn't work out, you know who you can take with you...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/17/2006 9:32 PM  

  • your post casued me to panic about my passport location

    you should have had the boy make an appt at the passport office and get it the same day. i assume that is now too late for my advise. :(

    By Blogger withoutaname, at 11/18/2006 7:27 PM  

  • I'm with Jess, I'm anxious for you.

    Things will work out just fine. And also? I have a nonexpired passport that the Boy can use...I'm sure he looks just like me.

    By Blogger Christine, at 11/20/2006 4:41 PM  

  • Jessica - you went only two weeks after meeting him?? Wow. That must have been super intimidating. I'm thinking things are going to be ok. TheBoy got a call from UPS this morning saying that it was being delivered today. But uh, it's already 6:30 and i haven't seen any sign of them yet...

    S - That would have been fine if it were easy for him to get into Manhattan on a weekday. He has misconceptions about the importance of work.

    Christine - I totally appreciate your offer! And uh... i'll let you know. Cause maybe? Maybe they'll just see dark hair and eyes and keep him moving...

    By Blogger claire, at 11/20/2006 6:48 PM  

  • crap.
    whatever it takes, have them expedite that cert! pay extra! use threats! *hasitly dons stevedores uniform, hustles claire into empty steamer trunk*

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 11/20/2006 10:10 PM  

  • Lordy. You have just learned parts 1 & 2 of the rules of modern vacations, my friend. To wit:

    1. The more you need a vacation, the more stressful preparing for it will be.

    2. The more exciting and awesome the vacation promises to be, the more stressful preparing for it will be.
    &
    3. The more stressed you get, the more likely you will be to get craptstically sick on said vacation.

    Hunt down the UPS guy and take your vitamins (and possibly a Xanax) NOW!

    Good luck!

    By Blogger Da Nator, at 11/21/2006 4:15 PM  

  • fn - gah! i know, i know!! it was all expedited and everything. Lucky for us - I went to pick it up from UPS today. Lucky for the boy, he has me to pick it up from UPS.

    DaNator - OhMyGOD! That is SOO TRUE. Thank you for breaking it down for me. I'm goign to go pop some zinc tablets now, i think. i can feel a sore throat coming on ohgod ohgod ohgod....

    By Blogger claire, at 11/21/2006 4:44 PM  

  • Come back.....I need you here to suffer with me in the office! No seriousley...I am so excited to hear ALL about the trip! Just don't get sold in to white slavery or take a job on the iguana farm.

    I DO have the Beta blogger, and see nothing at all spectacular about it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/27/2006 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home