"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Thursday, August 17, 2006

"I wanna dance!" *

I hate the fact that at this stage in my life, I'm supposed to be a responsible adult.

A few months ago, I had purchased tickets for a concert in August on a Saturday night in Manhattan for a band** I have been waiting to see for at least 6 years. They've finally come to NY and I actually thought to check their tour schedule to see that they were touring - its not like these guys never come to NY, its just that I never think to check. I probably could have seen them years ago; you know, before I turned into an old fart.

The show was for 9:00 on a Saturday night (perfect!) at a small venue that I had been to a bunch of times, located about 3 blocks away from Penn Station which meant taking the train in and out of the city would have been perfect. And since I had been there before, I was really looking forward to going back and doing club-things after the band was finished, and actually have a fun night. Like one I may have had before I was lame.

But its not to be. Everything has changed. They changed the venue for some undisclosed reason. Now it's on a Tuesday at CBGB's at 10:00pm.

What the fuck.

Do I need to go into a dissertation on why the fuck this is a problem? Maybe because I have to fucking work the next day? I have to haul my ass into the city on a Tuesday night during mother-fucking rush hour for an hour and a half drive? Then find CBGB's, which I believe? Is REALLY fucking annoying to get to by car since it is all the fucking way downtown in the village. On a Tuesday night.

It's the Tuesday night that gets me. If it was still on Saturday, I wouldn't have anything to say about it. I mean, I've never even been to CBGB's, the infamous club where all of your favorite 70's punk bands came from: The Ramones, Patti Smith, Blondie, Talking Heads,The Shirts, etc. Its kind of a must-see, at least at some point in your life, I guess. Which I would have loved to do, eventually. Maybe on a weekend.

And the band that I'm coming to see is scheduled for 10:00pm, which means they'll go on around 11:30 because bands NEVER go on at the time they're scheduled for, which puts me back home in bed around 3am to get 3 hours of sleep and go to work. This is so disappointing.

Even more disappointed is The Boy. He could give a shit about seeing VAST. This is MY concert, that we're going to for ME, not for HIM, for ME. He doesn't get any sick days and will have to hurl himself in the direction of work in the morning on 3 hours of sleep, after getting beat up at a show at fucking CBGBs.

At least I can call in sick...

Which is exactly what I'm going to do.

Because I'm going to have a good time, dammit.


Maybe I'll even buy myself a Tshirt.



*Obscure, but memorable scene. Can't guess the movie? Try here.

**VAST

2 Comments:

  • you go have fun. pogo into some broken glass for me while you're at it (dang, CBGB'S!!!)
    don't get cut or anything though. just pogo reminiscently.

    By Blogger FirstNations, at 8/18/2006 6:42 PM  

  • that sucks. at least you get to see CBGB's before it becomes a Vegas sideshow attraction. have a great time at the show!

    By Blogger minijonb, at 8/21/2006 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home