"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

If you don't want to hear me bitch, you should probably move along.

***would like to point out that there is little-to-no proof reading done here. Am shooting my mouth off and am just posting it before i chicken out***

oh my god, it is so freaking hot in here. there is no AC at work today and it is just about 95% humidity outside and there is no AIR to BREATH in here. i think it's effecting my attitude.

i called in sick yesterday. yes, i did. And i didn't care what anyone thought about it. I wasn't even sick... no... i... wasn't. In fact, i didn't even pretend i was when i called in and left my sick message. All you could hear on my voice was a little bit of sleepiness because that was why i called in. I was "TIRED". I was tired from the night before when i slept not at all. So i called in, dammit.

I am sitting here at my desk and not checking the voicemails from yesterday (cause i can really give a shit) and just catching up on everyone's blogs.

I have had it here.

And there's nothing i can do.

See, i would start that interview process up again: update resume, post it online, pick through want-ads and whatever. But i don't think i can, just yet. I may be limiting myself, but i'm a little afraid to do it just yet. Cause i thought too far ahead... And booked a damn 2-week vacation at the end of November. 2 WEEKS!

How can i start a new job and be like, "oh, by the way, i'm not going to be here this week and this week because i'll be in the caribbean. sorry!" If i were a recruiter, i would probably think, 'like hell you are' or 'ok! but don't expect to be here when you get back!'. Because i think it's really dick to start a new job and then not be there. I think it shows poor planning skills, irresponsibility and just a general sense of screwed up priorities. All of which i have, naturally.

I am un-willing to give up my vacation.
Luckily, i'm backed up by the fact that it is non-refundable and i am shelling out a lot of money for this bitch and i'm not willing to lose it.

But i don't want any potential employers to know that. It's not very climb-the-corporate-ladder of me. Having to stay here for 6 more months will surely kill me; i just don't know if i can skate by any longer on the fact that i have more seniority than most at my level - which i have learned is because most people learn that there is no good reasons for staying here any longer than they have to and GET THE FUCK OUT.

Not me, though, no. I've been here 6 1/2 years - since i was 19 years old. I didn't know any better 6 years ago and thought that this was a pretty sweet deal. I mean, there's air conditioning and you sit at a desk all day. It's not like working in the hot and sweaty mall or standing at an assembly line going mind-numbingly brain-dead. No! There's internet access and i get my own phone number! I am Awesome! I am corporate-casual!

Then i realized that it take 2 years to get your first promotion, even though you're doing the work of that higher position plus 2 co-workers worth. But that doesn't matter, right? Because now they've seen what a team-player you are, right? And they're rewarding you for being such a good worker. Go you! Take yourself out for a celebratory dinner. Even though you can't actually afford it, even with the 'raise' you were given.

And then it takes another 4 fucking years to get that next promotion because you are doing such crazy shit, that they don't even have a title for what you do here. No! It takes them 4 fucking years to get budget approval for the bull-shit job that you have taken on little by little, as people have left this god-forsaken company and new people have taken their place and formed different positions. Oh! Even TAKING the title of YOUR position because you were going to be promoted. But you never were! So you both have the same title, even though YOU DON'T GET TO DO THAT JOB ANYMORE. The boss is "waiting until you show him that you deserve" your promotion, and "that you really want it". And you actually wait around to see what happens while you have a bullshit position that means nothing because someone else has already replaced you.

You plod along, like an idiot. You watch others come and leave. You watch others like yourself plod along JUST LIKE YOU, without being rewarded for their dedication and keep making themselves believe that they will be compensated. But they're not. And neither are you.

You finally get your promotion and it is meaningless. You have been doing the work for this job for 4+ years and nothing is different. Your title is completely made up and will mean nothing in any other company. The skills you have acquired here are so specialized that you have worked yourself into a tiny niche and will not be qualified for most of what is out there. You get an extra $2 an hour and tell your boss that it is an insult - he can't fix it. And you stay. Like an idiot...

This is totally my fault and i need to wait another 1/2 year until i can fix it.

I am smashing my head against a brick wall and it is my own fault for not fixing it sooner.

10 Comments:

  • The vacation thing is not actually that big of a deal when you're applying. It's not like you're saying, "I won't be there for the first two weeks."

    It's vacation. You're expected to not work all the time.

    Go for it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 1:02 PM  

  • You can be like crazy-cat-lady and interview and tell them you have this vac. planned. Because who the hell are they to not hire you regardless of not having enough time acrued.

    As for the $$$, and titles and work ethic and stuff. I agree with you 110%. And although you left me ALONE to deal with Freddie-Got-Fingered...I still love you!

    By Blogger Orelinde_03, at 7/12/2006 1:52 PM  

  • whinger - really? you really think so?? you think i can leave here without that over my head? i would really like to believe you, i REALLY REALLY would.

    orelinde - it just sucks here. I can't do it anymore and the place has totally changed my personality. I used to LIKE people. Now, every time the phone rings, i get a sinking feeling in my stomach. Urch.. hate it.

    By Blogger claire, at 7/12/2006 3:25 PM  

  • whinger is right. if a prospective new employer won't hire you because you have a vacation planned, then you probably don't want to work for a bunch like that. a smart employer will understand that you have the time blocked off already and work around that. go find that smart new employer... and let me know when you find them so they can hire me as well =:-)

    By Blogger minijonb, at 7/12/2006 5:01 PM  

  • most places don't care about the vacation. I started at my place now and didn't mention it during the interview (it was AUG) and said hey btw what happens if you already have a vacation booked a few months out on the first day to the boss lady. and she was like, well as long as you don't take time off all the time, it is no big deal.
    I ended up getting it paid too :)

    trust me, get out! the job market is good right now

    By Blogger withoutaname, at 7/13/2006 6:38 AM  

  • minijonb - would love to find that smart employer, and not just because of my vacation conflict. if i could work for someone who is SMART, I just might keel over and die from happiness. I'll let you know where i find that....

    s - yeah, huh? they even paid you? You got really lucky with your next position, but i think you know that... alright, thanks for the optimism. i'll definitely be changing things around here.

    By Blogger claire, at 7/13/2006 7:37 AM  

  • Good luck with your decision! I am all for people getting out of situations that suck when they can, and it makes me sad when people are working just to earn money and not because they also happen to like what they do.

    By Blogger Jess, at 7/13/2006 10:17 AM  

  • Others have covered this, but yes, I really, really think so. Planned vacations happen, and you shouldn't put your life on hold around them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/13/2006 11:17 AM  

  • Pete and repeat here, but I swear to you, no one will care. It's NOVEMBER, and life happens. Just don't mention it at the interview - I don't think it's appropriate to worry about until after you come close or have the offer so that they don't think you're obsessed with time off before you even start.

    Unless they mention like a product launch or some MAJOR MAJOR event that same week, in which case, mention it. Otherwise, do not.

    I've done this at the last three jobs I've had, I promise. And it's fine every time. I even said, "I can't start for two more weeks, as I'm leaving! Sorry"

    and it was STILL FINE.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/13/2006 12:10 PM  

  • jessica - i would LOVE to find that thing that i love to do, that also makes a little money. I'm not expecting to find it before i have a degree, so i'm trying to keep my options open for now. its just HARD.

    whinger - i'm starting to see that. :)

    jonniker - well, if it's worked for you so many times, i'm not going to worry about it. apparently i'm putting too much energy into worrying about the whole thing where i should just get another fucking job, dammit.
    pete and repeat...snicker..


    Thank you everyone, really, i mean that. Has been a rough couple of days here. also, my verification word? 'intwitch'
    weird.

    By Blogger claire, at 7/13/2006 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home