"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Monday, July 10, 2006

But I got up to Chapter 45 of the book I'm reading!

Three A.M. can be the loneliest time of the day when you're the only one in the house who is awake.

That is, unless it is Four A.M. and you're the only one in the house who is awake... I found that 4am definitely wins the 'I'm awake and this sucks' contest of the night.

Though, I have to remark that even though I only had about an hour and a half of sleep last night, I am surprisingly lively this morning. Maybe it's because I was anticipating having to wake up shortly after I fell asleep and never allowed myself to fall into a deep-sleep; I don't know. I'm not sure how the sleep cycle effects how crap you are the next day, but today - actually awake. Speaking in full sentences, even*. I stopped at the 7-11 before work to get the same poison that made me unable to blink last night. I should know that I'm too old to not be affected by coffee at night any more. It seems that 24 oz. of the stuff is too much at 9:00 at night. But right now, it's like curing a hang-over with a bloody mary.


Other than the mind-numbing hell of not being able to sleep last night, yesterday was a fairly nice day. The Boy and I went to the beach yesterday afternoon after dropping his kids back at their mother's. They live out in Long Beach (NY - dur, not CA) which gives us such a PERFECT opportunity to kick them out of the car to their mother** and run to the beach all willy-nilly. Because the beach out there? Beautiful. Since it was a spur of the moment thing, we were not equipped with the beachy accoutrement necessary for playing in the sand so we spent about an hour or so walking on the lovely Long Beach boardwalk: people watching, catching a little sun and *shock* getting some free exercise. Was lovely. Recommend it to everyone.


On the way home from the beach, we had an interesting conversation in the car. The Boy had to call his Ex to let her know we were dropping the kids off and wound up calling every phone number available to him, including her fiance's cell phone. Fiance's outgoing vmail message apparently caught him as strange, something like: "Hey! This is (Fiance's Last Name). Leave a message....."etc.

Boy: "He addresses himself by his last name on his voicemail."
Me: "That's kind of...eech. Frat-boy."
Boy: "Yeah. But I guess if it's him calling himself that, it's ok"
Me: "What?"
Boy: "Calling someone by their last name is rude."

I'm not sure I subscribe to this same school of thought, but I guess I can see what he's talking about.

Boy: "Just like wearing a hat indoors. It's rude."
Me: "I think that is kind of an outdated tradition, don't you?"
Boy: "It's still rude."
Me: "You're one to talk about manners - you refuse to put the cloth napkin in your lap in restaurants"
Boy: "Well, that's just stupid."
Me: "Unlike the hat thing?"
Boy: "If you plan on getting more food in your lap, you shouldn't be eating out in public."


Sorry, folks! He's taken!



*Ha! You don't have to point out to me that this isn't actually a full sentence. I knew that. Irony - see? HA!!! Hoo! I got you!
**His children are lovely, I mean nothing cruel by this - wonderful, wonderful children.***
*** snicker...

11 Comments:

  • I'm not sure I see that it's rude, but it IS stupid.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 10:51 AM  

  • the fianceeeeeee
    is a teacher yes?
    then it may not be quite as
    strange as all that

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 12:31 PM  

  • whinger - Yes, stupid. And weird.

    Anon m - you can use your name, you now "other" and then put in your name.

    And yes, he is- but he could say Mr. so-and-so. Or his full name? And why would kids be calling his cell phone? Has it come to that in middle school?

    By Blogger claire, at 7/10/2006 12:34 PM  

  • I can't believe you've made it to the beach TWICE this summer...and I haven't made it there once!

    I am a self-proclaimed beach bunny. Oh well, this weekend will be MY weekend.

    As for the last name thingy...I sometimes call you by your last name. If that's rude, I'm sorry. Just slap me upside my head and call me ass. Then again, I refer to myself as Lucifer on occassion, just because of what my full last name is.

    The ex, and 'Mr. Ex' are just odd. As for the boy not putting a napkin in his lap. I can't comment...as I am boyless.

    By Blogger Orelinde_03, at 7/10/2006 1:44 PM  

  • orelinde - see, that's the thing - i don't think its rude at all. I totally don't get that.
    And the beach thing? yeah, but both times it was a walk on the boardwalk. that doesn't really count, i don't think...

    By Blogger claire, at 7/10/2006 1:53 PM  

  • parallel lives - i too was awake all last night (more owing to horrid nightmares/the other half turning over and making the bed go "spadoinnnng" every twenty minutes) than owt else. so i was awake and watching big brother live between three and four thirty am. woo.

    By Blogger surly girl, at 7/10/2006 2:36 PM  

  • "I should know that I'm too old to not be affected by coffee at night any more. It seems that 24 oz. of the stuff is too much at 9:00 at night. But right now, it's like curing a hang-over with a bloody mary."

    LOVE this comparison, as I have fallen victim to the caffeine many a time.

    By Blogger Jess, at 7/10/2006 2:38 PM  

  • nothing like pulling an all-nighter to remind you how NOT 16 you are, huh.
    works like a charm? 2 sudafed. if you can still get it where you are, that is.
    ooooo, gimme druuuuuugs, gimme druuuuuugs....


    am actually FIRSTNATIONS but using my daughters computer.

    By Blogger SSA, at 7/10/2006 9:18 PM  

  • will this do?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/11/2006 3:42 PM  

  • sg- sadly, all i had on the tv were infomercials for exercise equipment that i knew i would just throw clothes on.

    jessica - and interestingly, bloody marys work well for caffeine, too. :)

    fn - i'm always afraid to take the sleepy drugs, because i know i wouldn't wake up until 3pm the next day. once i'm down, i don't get up.

    anon m - yes, much. thank you.

    By Blogger claire, at 7/11/2006 8:21 PM  

  • This whole post is hilarious. The hat, the napkin, etc.

    People used to call me by my maiden name all the time. I never gave it a thought.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home