"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Friday, May 19, 2006

Random musings... and ARRRRRR!

I haven't a thing of interest to talk about, so I am making a list of some crap about myself that is not related to anything, nor is of any importance whatsoever.

*********

For some reason on my drive home for lunch, I started thinking of my first boyfriend, David. I was in the 9th grade and my then-best friend, Suzanne, wanted to fix me up with one of her friends. I don't know why. I never said that I had any interest in this guy, but he seemed nice enough so I went along with it. I had the joy of knowing that he, too, was not particularly interested. Suzanne excitedly told me that he said, "well, she's not a supermodel or anything, but sure". She probably wasn't supposed to tell me that, or at least I would hope that Dave wasn't so cruel as to tell her to tell me that, but so it goes.

Dave and I didn't make any sense whatsoever, though I'm not sure who would have to my 13 year old self. We were not interested in the same things. His most important goal was to become a firefighter when he turned 18, which I suppose was admirable in its way, but not really what I was into. There's a stigma about the Long Island volunteer fire people, as I'm sure there are just about anywhere, that they're all a bunch of cocky bastards. I was friends with a bunch of them for a little while and it wasn't easy to listen to them. Yes, they have a very important and dangerous jobs, but many (will not say ALL) think that they're some kind of gods. Drunken gods, actually. But I digress.

I never really connected with Dave on a personal level, nor was I particularly attracted to him. I kind of thought he looked like a cartoon character, as his features were sort of exaggerated. I would compare him to my friend, Melissa's boyfriend, who I distinctly remember describing as a "real person".

Things didn't work out in the end, as expected (sad, I know). Though I don't remember ever really breaking up with him. We just stopped calling each other, I think, by the time summer came around. Pretty sure that one lasted a solid 2 months.

**********

I am a closet Friends-watcher. No one knows this except the people I love and who I trust won't tell anyone. I love that stupid show. I can watch it 3 times a day, even if they're showing the same episode all three times. I don't know what it is, but whenever its on, I'll mindlessly watch it like its some kind of religion.
Truth be told, though, I'm much less fanatical about it now, than I used to be. I used to be drawn to it like a pirate to his booty, but now its more like comfort food.

***********

I dig pirates.

I am an avid supporter of International Talk Like a Pirate Day because it is ever so cool. And you get to go around saying "AARRRRR" and "Yarrr, yarrr" and telling people they're scallywags and such.

For christmas, I purchased this t-shirt for The Boy, from the Flying Spaghetti Monster store:




I think this is one of the greatest t-shirts ever.










Also, pirate jokes rock. Here are some from ratemypiratejoke.com for your entertainment. But mostly for mine:

What is a pirates favorite radio station?
NPyaRRRRRR

Did you see the last Pirate movie?
It was rated ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

What does a Dyslexic Pirate Say?
RRAAAAAAAAAAA !

Why do pirates read Playboy?
For the ARRRRticles!


8 Comments:

  • There is no shame in love of the Friends.
    Partner and I will watch any episode, saying the best lines with the characters.
    Some might call it sad, but I still think that show is funny.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/19/2006 4:25 PM  

  • You're funny Claire!
    I used to watch Friends all the time until one season it went weird, I had kids, and I never got back to it!

    ARRRRR!

    By Blogger Kyahgirl, at 5/19/2006 5:11 PM  

  • whinger - i still think its funny, too. and knowing all of the lines? yeah, i'm right there with you.

    kyahgirl - aw, thanks! it did start to get weird towards the end. but that's the fun of reruns. :) Yar yar..

    By Blogger claire, at 5/19/2006 5:29 PM  

  • ARRR!!! I celebrate Talk Like A Pirate Day every year, matey!!!

    =:-)

    By Blogger minijonb, at 5/19/2006 5:30 PM  

  • minijonb - yay! and ARRRRRR!

    By Blogger claire, at 5/20/2006 4:23 PM  

  • PIV-OTTTT!!! PIV-OTTTT!!!

    By Blogger Jess, at 5/22/2006 4:04 PM  

  • ... it tastes like FEET!!...

    ~MB

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2006 6:41 AM  

  • Jessica - Ha! LOVE that one!

    MB - I totally couldn't remember what that one was from until it was explained to me.

    Shiftclick - thhp! :P who's weird now?

    By Blogger claire, at 5/23/2006 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home