"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Inevitably, someone always transfers me to outer space.

Something is going on at the ol' Blogger Dashboard and won't let me post anything without giving me an error first.  So i apologize for all the weird spacing on the last post.  It makes it hard to read and even harder for you to care about all the hopes and dreams i'm pouring out to you.  So we'll try to work around that from now on. 

I have finally registered myself to go back to school this semester on the long road towards finish up my bachelors.  I had started at a new school last fall after getting my associates degree, but i sort of did it in a rather half-assed manner which led to me not getting the classes that i actually wanted and me hating my life for 4 straight months. 

See, i never sat down with one of those fancy "Transfer Advisers" or "Department Advisers" when i started, and was hoping i could just coast on through and register for the classes on the list in the College Catalog and do it all MY WAY and not have to talk to any of the assholes in the State University of New York (SUNY) system.

(Maybe i shouldn't say that right here on the interwebs.  Spies and all...)

I've had some bad experiences with the SUNY system and i'm not ashamed to say that i have some voodoo dolls of certain administrators sitting at the bottom of a drawer from the first SUNY school i attended.  I'm not above using them again, is what i'm saying.  Don't tempt me.

I made the call to the school on Monday (first day of class is only 2 weeks away.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute, i say.) to try to make an appointment with a Transfer Councilor so that i could get all of my associates credits transferred to my next degree plan.  This is something i should have thought about BEFORE even applying there.  This was Stupid.

Since i couldn't actually find out anything about the Transfer Whatever Department on the website, i called the main number. The operator transferred me to Admissions who transferred me to the Transfer lady who told me she couldn't help me and then transferred me to My Department who told me that i need to talk to a Transfer Councilor and i just stopped them right there. 

Then I argued with the secretary from My Department for a little while over whether or not i actually HAD my associates - she didn't think so from looking at my transcripts. I said i had a goddamn piece of parchment SAYING SO - and then she put me on hold.

I waited on hold while she talked to the Transfer Councilor lady and then she came back sounding a lot happier.  Maybe they made plans to go out to lunch; it was never mentioned.  But i wound up getting some answers, the promise of having my "Plan" faxed to me and instructions on how to get my online password reset so that i could register.  Department lady transferred me to Registration for my password and then Registration put me on hold for 7 minutes until they just flat-out disconnected me.

In the end, it took 4 hours to register for 2 classes.

I got the faxed copy of my Plan yesterday from My Department, illustrating what credits i have fulfilled and what i still need to take.  They decided that i have 7 whole classes (that's 21 credits) that cannot be applied to my degree. 

I would like you to know that it took me 3 1/2 semesters to accrue those credits on my part time schedule.  THAT'S 2 YEARS OF MY LIFE AND A COUPLE THOUSAND DOLLARS THAT THEY DECIDED ARE NOT WORTHY OF THEIR STUPID DEGREE PROGRAM. 

I am a little on-edge about this right now as you can imagine and i've already called to bitch someone out about it, but My Department called me back to let me know that they're not seeing anyone until the 3rd week of classes by which time i will probably totally lose all this steam that i've built up over the past couple of days and will do whatever the School Overlords tell me to do.

I hate SUNY.  I HAAAAAATE them.  HAAAAAAAAAATE.

7 Comments:

  • UGH. I think every university is like that to some extent. I've never had to deal with transfer stuff, but I've had to deal with OSU regarding a lot of other things and SUCKAGE. It's almost not worth it, you know?

    (But it totally is.)

    By Blogger Cassie, at 8/20/2008 1:08 PM  

  • This is so frustrating. My school rejected some of the credits from my study abroad program, which was a huge pain because I had to take extra classes my senior year to make up the credits. Not what I wanted. But it all worked out. I hope yours does the same thing.

    By Blogger Jess, at 8/20/2008 1:34 PM  

  • I went to a Cal State U where everyone seemed to have that same sort of bug up their ass. It was so bad that after I left, I didn't set foot on campus without breaking into a sweat for years, even though I lived in the same town.

    Me: I believe that you transferred this as the wrong class.
    Transfer lady: Yes, I did. But there is nothing I can do about it.
    Me: You evaluated it. You can change it, right?
    Transfer lady: No, now the evaluation is done and signed and only the Dean can change it.

    So it goes.

    By Blogger SUEB0B, at 8/20/2008 9:18 PM  

  • Okay, well, see you at the Pep Rally then!

    You can try appealing the decision about your transfer credits. They can count anything they want to count; you just have to give them some kind of justification for it. Just find a class that they offer that's close to what you took elsewhere and then write up a little thing explaining why the two classes are the same. I had to go through that two months before I was scheduled to graduate, when my university decided that an English class I'd taken three years earlier didn't count toward my Humanities requirement, even though I took it from them and it was on the list that said, "Classes that Count Toward Your Humanities Distribution." Sometimes they just like to mess with you a little.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/21/2008 8:32 AM  

  • Holy crap -- you're not dead! And you posted! Twice!! (note the corresponding number of exclamation points, utilized to communicate numerically-appropriate excitement...)

    Um... that being said, bureaucracy sucks the big one. Sorry to hear you're trapped in the eighth circle of administrative hell.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/22/2008 11:22 AM  

  • Cassie - Is it though? IS IT WORTH IT? Ugh, it had better be.

    Jess - That's just aggravating. What a pain.

    Suebob - That would make me FURIOUS. I would be SCREAMING in the office and they'd have to drag me out of there. UGH.

    Flurrious - I'm going to try to make an appointment with them in a couple of weeks and argue the hell out of it. It's going to be a fun show. I should sell tickets.

    TwoBusy - I am alive. But you should have known that what with me still commenting on your blog, but i guess that's not the same. Yes, i am back. Thank you, thank you. Please hold your applause until the end of the show.

    By Blogger claire, at 8/22/2008 1:49 PM  

  • I went to SUNY Albany about 10 million years ago. After one semester, I was put on academic probation...I'd like to blame them, but it might have had something to do with the fact that I took a job with hours that overlapped with my class schedule...

    By Blogger 3carnations, at 8/25/2008 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home