"Your biting sarcasm wounds me, Madam..."

Friday, July 07, 2006

Still alive...

Hi y'all.

I just wanted to check in and mention that i'm still around. I have been neglecting my blog for the past two weeks, it seems, and i'm starting to feel kind of badly about it.
I also want to mention that i haven't been posting because it seems that most of my spare (and even not-so-spare) time has been spent reading all of Sundry's archives. And she started back in 2002, so i'm sure you can see why it is taking all of my time. Also, because it is one of the best blogs/journals i've ever come across and she is totally engaging in a stalker-friendly way (that's me! Stalker!). If you have not checked her out (and i'm sure that everyone in the world has at this point- duh she started in 2002) you really and truly must.


In other news, our 4th of July was not as exciting or entertaining as it truly should have been. I mean, its an entire holiday focused on the premise of blowing things up. How could that NOT be entertaining? As it turns out, very easily, in fact.

This is a BigDog sleeping. This is a happy kind of sleep.

However, on Tuesday, we had more of a drugged, awkward, scary kind of sleep.

Fireworks and BigDog are not on speaking terms. BigDog is really quite ashamed to admit that they scare the ever-loving shit out of her. The worst part is that this is our fault from last year, and i am REALLY sorry for that because we single-handedly ruined our 4th of July's for the next 10 years or so.
Last year was BigDog's first 4th and she was dealing pretty well with all of the booms and bangs going on outside, while we were inside, basically putzing around. We thought it would be nice to stay home and hang out in the neighborhood and watch the fireworks that people on our street seem to get every single f-ing year. Later at night, after the noise died down, we thought it would be safe to take the pups out for their walk.

We opened the front door and stepped outside...
and the whole sky exploded.

BigDog freaked right the fuck out and ran back to the front door, pretty much ramming her head into it to try and get BACK IN THE HOUSE. (i was on the other end of the leash and it was not fun, no sir. She is strong, heavy and fast. Like a freight train.) Once we were able to get back in, ie: once she stopped ramming herself against the screen door so we could open it, she ran to the furthest corner of the house and tried to hide under any furniture she could squeeze her big self under. But, basically she cried and shook and ran around in circles trying to get away from the explosions... poor puppy.

But This Year! Drugs! People do it all the time! We'll buy tranquilizers from the vet! Drug the dog! Yay! I called the vet and picked up a script for 10 little white pills and happily went home to drug the dog. Yay! Drugs are good!

The vet tech told us that we should give her the first dose early in the day, in case we have a loud neighborhood, and then right before it gets dark, give her a second dose and all will be right with the world.
So of course...we DID. At 11:00am, she got a magical spoonfull of peanut butter and about 7 minutes later, she hobbled over to me leaning on the wall for balance, stumbled toward me to catch her as she literally PASSED OUT. Like, unconscious - fell down. Lost bladder control, unconscious.

Like any good mommy, i screamed a little and with one arm underneath my 120lb dog and the other hand reaching for the phone, I called the vet like a crazy person. Ha! CLOSED for the HOLIDAY!

In the end, she was ok. She woke up after that and kind of readjusted herself on the floor, even though all of her sad limbs were all in weird positions and kind of under her in uncomfortable looking, backwards ways.

She was stoned for the entire day and unable to move. It was really weird and very sad, and i don't know if i want to do that again anytime soon. I think 2 pills was too many, but if we DO decide to do it next year, one pill will be just fine, thank you.

Also, we didn't give her that second dose like the vet tech said to do. As a result, she was quite alert when it got dark.

Yay! Happy 4th!


  • oh, poor puppy. what the hell did they give her, rohypnol? it takes a hell of a mickey finn to knock over a dog that size. *virtual head scratches to puppy; goooood doggy, good girl! yes you are!*

    By Blogger First Nations, at 7/07/2006 11:54 AM  

  • Ohhh the poor pup! Glad everything turned out okay, though. Sweet thing.

    By Anonymous Whinger, at 7/07/2006 12:40 PM  

  • fn - poor puppy, indeed. it was very scary, and with a dog of this size, terribly sad to see her wobbling around like that.
    BigDog likes her belly scratched, if your handing them out...

    whinger - she's just fine now, thank goodness... oh, and currently sleeping again it seems.

    By Blogger claire, at 7/08/2006 3:37 PM  

  • get your bits and bytes in order... you're on my 2006 fantasy blogging all star team! yea!!!

    By Blogger minijonb, at 7/09/2006 11:39 PM  

  • minijonb - ooh, ooh. what's this?? must go check... have been neglecting my stalkees... *trundles off*

    By Blogger claire, at 7/10/2006 7:22 AM  

  • Poor poor Big Dog. Sweet thing, how was the ever crazy Little Dog handling it?

    By Blogger Christine, at 7/10/2006 8:17 AM  

  • christine - you know, strangely enough, Little Dog handles the fireworks in stride. I totally don't get it either.

    By Blogger claire, at 7/10/2006 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home